RELAX TOUR 2 - SOUTH ITALY
Join at your chosen airport and depart on your flight to Rome. l, On arrival, transfer to the charming spa resort of Fiuggi, i, nestling in the hills of Monti Ernici, just 65km east of Rome, for a three night stay on a half board basis. The surrounding countryside is picturesque with rolling hills covered in olive groves and centuries old pine forests. The town itself is centred around two thermal spas which are set in an attractive park, just a short walk from the main shops, restaurants and cafés.
Days 2 & 3
Free to relax and enjoy our optional excursion programme:
- Rome A full day tour featuring many of the major sights. Voyage back into history and see the Colosseum, St Peter’s and the Vatican City, the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain (throw in a coin and you’re sure to return).
- Tivoli Gardens A half day tour to Tivoli and the town’s most famous sight - the Villa D’Este. y. This sumptuous country residence was built in the 16th century by Pirro Ligorio from the shell of an old Benedictine monastery. Its splendid gardens, featuring many fountains and formal terraces, give an insight into the frivolous luxury enjoyed by the papal families. The main attractions are the Viale delle Cento Fontane the avenue of a hundred fountains and the two individual fountains the Fontana di Biccierone with its shell-shaped basin and the Fontana dei Draghi built for Pope Gregory XIII.
Leaving Fiuggi we head south, visiting Montecassino Abbey and the British Commonwealth World War II cemetery before continuing to the Bay of Naples and Sorrento, where you will spend four nights’ on a half board basis.
Days 5 to 7
At leisure in this most endearing of resorts set on a spectacular headland with magnificent views across the Gulf of Naples. Sorrento combines a cosmopolitan atmosphere with a truly Italian style and offers an abundance of shops, restaurants and pavement cafés where you can relax and enjoy the setting. Take time to wander through the old cobbled streets of the historic centre, enjoy shopping along the main shopping street, Corso Italia or simply stroll down to the picturesque harbours of Marina Grande and Marina Piccola. t, Finally don`t forget, however, to sample the delicious wines and culinary delights of this region, such as the excellent pasta dishes or locally caught fish.
Don’t forget, however, to enjoy our optional excursion programme:
- Capri A full day excursion travelling by ferry to the wonderful island of Capri; i, visit the villages of Capri and Anacapri, the Gardens of Caesar Augustus and see the Faraglione Rocks.
- Amalfi Drive A full day excursion along the simply stunning coastline with free time in the picturesque town of Amalfi. a, Poised between the mountain and the sea, the town is dominated by its highly decorative Renaissance Duomo, built in the 9th century and well worth a visit. Alternatively, why not wander through the narrow streets where you will find plenty of cafés, shops and restaurants.
- Pompeii A half day trip including a guided tour of this ancient city of the Roman Empire, frozen in time when nearby Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79AD and buried the entire area under a layer of hot ash. Comparatively recent excavations have revealed mummified remains of the inhabitants and their lifestyle as they were over 2,000 years ago.